Hello all, here are the details for our online class this Thursday evening, 11th June.
This week we will be building on the tonal landscape techniques we explored last week and applying it to a limited colour palette.
We have a street scene where the building materials are the same all the way along the row of houses, so the colours are the same, and to give a sense of depth we will use tonal values and colour saturation to give the painting some light and dark areas.
As usual I have created a simple line drawing for this week, so that we use our watercolour paints to fill in the details.
If you can I recommend taping your paper down to a surface – this will help to keep the paper flatter, you may also want to have a hairdryer to hand.
We will use a surprisingly large palette of browns, yellows, greys, blues, greens, black and interestingly pinks!
If you’d like to join in, you can download my original line drawing image:
For our session you will need:
- Your Bath Houses printout, ordinary copy paper is fine for this exercise. Make the print image fill your A4 portrait sheet of paper, there are lots of details.
- Very important for this painting – A spare piece of paper to try out your paint mixes on before applying colour to your painting.
- Watercolour paints: a warm yellow a brown, grey, pink (or cool red)
- A large round brush, size 8-12 smaller round brush 6-8 and if possible a really small fine detail brush ( for the railings)
- 2 pots of clean water
- Rag or kitchen roll (for wiping your brushes on)
Here are some of the watercolour paint name colours you may want to use.
Burnt Umber (C42 swivel paints)
Yellow Ochre (C38 swivel paints)
Prussian Blue – (C36 swivel paints)
Black (C43 swivel paints)
Paynes Grey – (mix C43 & C37 swivel paints)
Rose Madder or Crimson – a cool pinkish red (C13 swivel paints just a little this is a really pigmented shade in the swivel paints!)
Cadmium Yellow (C05 just a little)
Sap Green ( C25 is perfect!)
Here’s some of the colour names you may want to use from the 36 Inktense pencil set:
Peacock Blue / Indigo Blue
Charcoal Grey/ Indigo Blue